My thread is more resistant than I anticipated, so only 5 lights lit up on the chain when I began testing it. I have had to rethink the chaining, and I need to re-sew a lot of it. Honestly, I’m really worried at this point. I am flying home Wednesday for Thanksgiving, and in the current state of panic that the US is experiencing due to terrorism, there’s no way I’m going to try to risk bringing a computerized wired skirt on an airplane. I get back late Sunday night, so I can try to work on the code at home but I can’t sew (which is the most time-intensive part).
At this point I am pretty much finished with my other class and I can do my research hours project at home over the break. The class I teach is wrapping up, I can focus about 75% of my time to this project. I’m just worried that it may mess up again.
I am going to try to get at least one row of lights working with the accelerometer or the bluetooth color changer. I can sew the rest of them on after the semester ends so I can still have my awesome light-up skirt the way I want it. For this class, I just want it to prove the concept so I can keep working and not go insane.
I came down with an illness last Wednesday, got better on Thursday and Friday, and then got a cold on Saturday and Sunday. My nose became a fountain and I slept 80% of the weekend, which is when I planned to get cracking on my skirt. Excuses aside, I got a lot less done than I expected to this week.
I have 19 out of 79 lights sewn, but all 79 lights are pinned so that’s good. My basic code lights the skirt up, but the accelerometer is not sewn or coded so it does not control anything yet. I’m hoping to get to that ASAP. My sewing has gotten faster as I’ve gone along and figured things out, and since I got an embroidery circle to stretch the fabric.
The conductive thread cannot touch any other thread in order to light up, so it’s hard to test without laying the skirt out entirely. I’m not sure what this will do when I wear it, I may have to put a backing on the thread to avoid contact while swishing.
Lighting up the first few lights
For my final I am going to make a skirt that lights up in different ways depending on how you move.
If you spin fast enough the lights will all light up. If you swish, they’ll twinkle. There will be a bluetooth connection that allows you to change the color manually. I want to add more functionality than that, but for now that’s my starting point.
I also want to have different modes, so you can have them change color as you spin or swish depending on the setting. I am going to set up a soft potentiometer from adafruit on a chain with the accelerometer so I can set modes that way.
I have an adafruit flora, which is a sewable arduino, and sewable smart neopixels also from adafruit that are chainable. I am soon to be receiving a bluetooth module for the flora that will allow me to connect to the flora from my computer via bluetooth and change the colors of the lights via a phone app. The accelerometer/magnometer I used for the fortune teller project is the same one I will sew to the edge of the skirt to detect motions.
I will have approximately 84 neopixels to work with, and the main consideration now is how to chain them together; what pattern will I sew them in, how many pins will I use on the arduino, etc.
Monday- skirt design, light layout, begin code
Wednesday- work on code, start pinning lights
Friday- more parts get in
Monday- Start sewing, code light chain(s)
Wednesday- Keep sewing, finish light coding
Monday- Keep sewing, code accelerometer
Wednesday- Keep sewing, finish accelerometer coding
Wednesday- Look pretty