This weekend I began constructing the base of my sculpture.  I started off with the big silver coil of wire depicted below, and a spring-like structure made from a piece of scrap wire.

FullSizeRender_2

I cut the coiled wire into long (3-feet-ish) pieces that I then wove into the springy wire to create a cylindrical structure.

FullSizeRender_1

I then spread the wires out to create mostly-even tension around the circumference of the cylinder and stuck them into a circular cardboard base.  When I was happy with their placement, I reinforced the cardboard connection with E6000, which is like rubber cement on steroids and will hold pretty much anything secure once it’s dried.  I temporarily bent the tops of the wires down for easier visualization of the final; They will be the branches that support the lights.

FullSizeRender

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pages