First Friday didn’t happen for me because my materials are not all in yet, therefore I do not have a sculpture base for people to add on to. I did, however, do some research on glues and dye some recycled paper from the Computer Science building (because Langford doesn’t recycle paper for some reason? We should probably get on that. We use a lot of paper…)
The glues I tested are E600 and three versions of Aleen’s Tacky Glue. I was worried about the glue not drying clear with the Fast Grab and Quick Dry tacky glues, but those dried faster and made it easier to see the application area. The Clear Gel worked well too, as did the E6000, but the E6000 dried slower and has harmful vapors that aren’t necessarily community-friendly and both were too clear to see the application area clearly and became messier as a result. The white application glues dried clear, and are perfect for the job.
Ashley helped me dye white paper from the CSCE recycle bins to make it colorful. I have a ton of food dye from a camp project where the buyers didn’t realize that you only need one drop of food coloring to color icing. I collected the around-eight unopened boxes of food coloring at the end of the camp season, and I am probably set for life. We put a few drops of coloring into trays that had a little bit of water in them and then had fun mixing and matching and swirling the colors together. The result is quite beautiful:
We let them dry in the air, and then I cut them into triangles that people can write on and roll beads with. The width of the triangles determined the shape of the bead, as shown in this .PDF from BeadforLife’s website. It took a while to cut them, and I was using the fancy sliding paper trimmer pictured below. It must take forever to cut the longer triangles for thicker beads with scissors as the women in Uganda do, and my great respect for these women has grown even more.